WH40k: Renegade Imperial Knight Part 2

FINALLY FINISHED.  This took way too long to complete.  I partly blame the first Imperial Knight from the set for causing a bit of modeler’s block.  But it is finished!

Painted along with decals made Carlson793 from Bolter and Chainsword.  Made using the Legio Gryphonicus decals.  The color scheme felt a bit too busy at times but in the end i liked how it came together.  The gun arm is fully magnetized to be able to switch between the melta and cannon forms.  Then there is a pile of masks for the knight also.

 

 

And finally together with the my last knight (ignore the cardboard box, this is a little too much plastic to fit in my homemade photobox)

Oldy Mini Showcase

Here are 3 of my older painted minis.  They are all Dreadnought-ish size and from when really did not highlight and shaded very messily.  There are also very obvious glossy areas that should be more satin and vice versa.

First one is the Helbrute from the Dark Vengeance set.  I overall like the figure but there are specific areas with very mushy details which made painting as a novice very annoying.  I also tried using a matte varnish spray can but just came out very grainy.

p1000800p1000804p1000805p1000806p1000807p1000810

The Second Figure is the Deathjack for Warmachine.  I love the weight of this figure because it is entirely white metal.  This was also one of the first models where I really experienced the fragility of acrylic paint on metal.  This was before I was properly priming models also.  Might have went overboard with the blood technical paint.  He looks like he was pawing a jar of strawberry jam.p1000811p1000815p1000816

The last figure is the Daemon Prince model.  I decided to build it as a Space Marine Daemon Prince instead of a Fantasy model.  It is a pretty simply model to paint.  It is a good way to practice painting fleshy bits and armor in the same kit.  Other than that it is an okay kit, not one of my favorites though.p1000817p1000818p1000819p1000820

WH40k: Renegade Imperial Knight Part 1

Hurrah my biggest miniature project to date is half done!  This is the first of my Imperial Knights from the Imperial Knight: Renegade boxed game.  I am pretty happy with the results this.  I bought the box back in August and was slowly working on it since.  I am happy with the interchangeability of the equipment.  This was the first model I used custom decal paper with too.  Compared to the transfers from the box they were considerably thicker.  Next time i would probably only apply 1 coat of clear gloss instead of 3 because they did cause a noticeable bump after application.

I am happy with the results of the freehand to extend the black flames on the left pauldron and the Ion Shield.  There is also a bit of zigzag on the right shin plate but it is slightly obscured by the chaos star.  The only thing I am on the fence of is using the Dried Blood vallejo paint to freehand the smeared chaos star.  It fluctuates back and forth between oh it looks like blood or it looks like crayon in my mind.

Painted along with decals made Carlson793 from Bolter and Chainsword.  Made using the Fureans Legion sheet.

 

WH40k: Death Company Dreadnought

One of my oldest painted Space Marine model.  I kinda inverted the color of the standard Death Company.  I know it isn’t exactly fluffy, so lets say if i ever do make a Blood Angels based Space marine army they are a Progenitor chapter or something.  I really like the exposed skull of the Marine who is entombed, one of the more unique dreadnought designs.

p1000738p1000739p1000742p1000744p1000745

WH40K Tyranid Swarmlord

This is an older painted figure of mine.  I was trying get an iridescent effect by using some pearl powders.  Tried various different things to get the effect to look half decent.  At first I tested mixing the pearl powder into some Future but this gave a really splotchy effect on a piece of test sprue because I tried brushing it on.  Because the airbrush was not an option i then used a thinned blue paint as the base to lessen the splotchy effect.  After a couple layers of this version of the pearled paint it dried to slightly chalky finish so i added a coat of thinned gloss varnish on top to try to get rid of that. Still ended up a bit chalky.

Next time I want to try airbrushing the pearl and future mixture on top of a base color so it covers more evenly.  Maybe one day mister Swarmlord will be put in the old ultrasonic, but I still enjoy how he turned out.

P1000626P1000625P1000624P1000623