WH40K: Daemon Primarch Mortarion


What can i say about Mortarion? He is awesome and the studio colors really do not do him justice.  For Mortarion, I went more toward the Pre-Heresy colors.

I decided on the neon green for the smoke/fire effects because I wanted them to look more other-worldly than the rest of the model which is full of realistic earthy tones.

I really like the Silence in the right hand pose,  It is more of a looming predator than the shooty Lantern pose.

I do like the wings.  Not sure if i made them distinguished enough from the armor but i like how they came out overall.  I decided to not add the additional fly ridden plumes because i think it would have made the top and rear of Mortarion a bit too busy and would have covered the vents and backpack.

The Nurglings are the only thing I really don’t enjoy about the model.  They are just a bit too jolly and happy for the solemn feeling the rest of Mortarion has.


And finally an extra illuminated shot of Mortarion.  I love his armor and hopefully the next few Death Guard minis will be as enjoyable to paint.


Oldy Mini Showcase

Here are 3 of my older painted minis.  They are all Dreadnought-ish size and from when really did not highlight and shaded very messily.  There are also very obvious glossy areas that should be more satin and vice versa.

First one is the Helbrute from the Dark Vengeance set.  I overall like the figure but there are specific areas with very mushy details which made painting as a novice very annoying.  I also tried using a matte varnish spray can but just came out very grainy.


The Second Figure is the Deathjack for Warmachine.  I love the weight of this figure because it is entirely white metal.  This was also one of the first models where I really experienced the fragility of acrylic paint on metal.  This was before I was properly priming models also.  Might have went overboard with the blood technical paint.  He looks like he was pawing a jar of strawberry jam.p1000811p1000815p1000816

The last figure is the Daemon Prince model.  I decided to build it as a Space Marine Daemon Prince instead of a Fantasy model.  It is a pretty simply model to paint.  It is a good way to practice painting fleshy bits and armor in the same kit.  Other than that it is an okay kit, not one of my favorites though.p1000817p1000818p1000819p1000820

Hordes: LoE Blight Bringer

My first Colossal from Hordes.  I really liked the langolier-esque look of the Blight Bringer.  I really liked this kit overall but because it is biological it needed a pinning and a decent application of greenstuff to fill the holes between the front arms and the main body.

I decided to strip the paint from the other everblight warbeasts because of the colors I chose to paint this.  I have yet to base this model because while stripping the other warbeasts it damaged the basing I had previously had on them so now I have a blank slate to base them.


WH40K Tyranid Swarmlord

This is an older painted figure of mine.  I was trying get an iridescent effect by using some pearl powders.  Tried various different things to get the effect to look half decent.  At first I tested mixing the pearl powder into some Future but this gave a really splotchy effect on a piece of test sprue because I tried brushing it on.  Because the airbrush was not an option i then used a thinned blue paint as the base to lessen the splotchy effect.  After a couple layers of this version of the pearled paint it dried to slightly chalky finish so i added a coat of thinned gloss varnish on top to try to get rid of that. Still ended up a bit chalky.

Next time I want to try airbrushing the pearl and future mixture on top of a base color so it covers more evenly.  Maybe one day mister Swarmlord will be put in the old ultrasonic, but I still enjoy how he turned out.